« Back

Child Labor Work Permits


Requirements for Child Labor and Street Trade Permits

  • Wisconsin Driver’s License/ID, Birth record or baptismal record – indicating minor’s proof of age.  Birth records may be obtained from the register of deeds in the county of birth.  Baptismal records may be secured from the pastor of the church in which the baptism took place.
  • Letter of Employment – the employer will provide the minor with a letter (on letterhead paper) of their intent to employ and include a signature stating the job duties, hours of work and time of day the minor will be working.
  • Parental Permissiononly the parent or legal guardian may sign the Letter of Employment or send along a separate note with his/her signature granting the minor permission to work.
  • Social Security Card (actual) – the minor must present his/her Social Security Card to the clerk issuing the permit.  If you do not have a Social Security Card, go to the local Social Security Office at 1561 Dousman St Green Bay WI 54304 and request a letter verifying the minor’s name and assigned Social Security number.
  • $10 Permit Fee – The employer is required by state statute to pay the permit fee.  If the minor advances the fee, the employer shall reimburse the minor no later than on the first paycheck.
  • Minor’s signature – Only the minor can sign the Child Labor Permit.  Therefore, the minor must be present at the time of issuance. 

For more information regarding Child Labor Permits, please visit the Wisconsin Department of Workforce Development's website.