Follow these steps to properly submit your soil sample at the Extension Office:
Properly sample your soil; a total of 2 cups is required for testing.
Where to Take Lawn & Garden Soil Samples
Be sure the soil sample is representative of the entire lawn or garden by preparing a composite sample. You can do this by collecting small cores of soil from five locations in the sampling area, and then combining them into one sample. Do not include soil from both a lawn and garden area in the same composite sample.
If you think your lawn or garden has large areas that differ in fertility, divide the area being sampled into two or more parts and prepare a composite sample from each part. With a lawn, take a composite sample from the front lawn and another from the back lawn. Or, take a composite sample from a shaded area and another from an open or sunny area. We highly recommend talking to our Horticulture staff BEFORE doing a lawn sample, as many lawn problems may be due to factors a soil test will not identify.
How to Take Soil Samples
A garden trowel, small spade, or bulb planter is recommended. Sample gardens to the depth of tillage, normally about 5 to 7 inches. Sample established lawns to the depth of 3 inches. Remove all grass and other materials from the composite sample and mix the soil thoroughly. Place 2 cups of soil into a bag and bring to the Extension office.
Determine which type of test you need:
- Lawn or Garden Includes: pH, Nitrate-Nitrogen, Phosphorus, Potassium, Organic Matter, Soluble Salts, Cation Exchange Capacity, Calcium and Magnesium and Fertilizer Recommendations (Cost: $22)
- Fruit Crop BASIC: Cost $19
- Fruit Crop COMPLETE: Cost $33
- Wildlife Food Plot: Includes recommendations for up to 4 crops (Cost: $22)
- Compost/Manure: Take sub samples at least 18-24 inches into the pile from 6 to 10 locations. Mix and fill manure sample container or gallon ziploc bag half full. (Cost: $49)
Visit us at Extension Brown County to drop off your soil.
We are located on the UWGB Campus in the STEM Innovation Center (2019 Technology Way, Room#113 Green Bay, WI 54311). Our office hours are Monday-Friday, 7:00AM-3:30PM.
Payment method can be cash, check, or credit card.
Please make checks made payable to Brown Country Treasurer.
For further information on soil testing, please contact us at 920-391-4610.