Brown County Health and Human Services, along with the Brown County Executive, continue to take precautionary steps to protect the health and safety of the community (clients, providers, guardians and staff) by mitigating direct contact with the public to help slow the spread of Coronavirus 2019 (COVID-19).  In order to do this, the Department is limiting access to buildings and service areas.
Sophie Beaumont Building
General Statement
Sophie Beaumont has reopened to general public access."By Appointment Only" services and virtual/telephone services are the recommended contact methods at this time.  Contact your assigned case manager, therapist or counselor for information.  Please see county websites for information on accessing some services through online or telephone contact. 
For general department information, call (920) 448-6000. 
To report child abuse and neglect, please call (920) 448-6035.. 
Economic Support Services
Applicants are encouraged to apply for FoodShare, Badger Care and Medicaid, or Wisconsin Shares Child Care Subsidy benefits using the ACCESS website. Clients can also access services and apply for benefits by phone by calling (888) 794-5747 (voice) or 711 (TTY), Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m.-4:00 p.m.  For other programs, such as Energy Assistance, please call (920) 448-6460.
If members would like to check the status of programs and benefits they are enrolled in, get reminders about actions they need to take, and submit and track documents, they can try the simple and convenient MyACCESS mobile app. The app can be downloaded for free on the App Store or Google Play Store.
Clients are still able to fax documents for processing. Documents can be faxed to (855) 293-1822.  Applicants/members are strongly encouraged to use the MyACCESS app to upload documents when possible.
Documents can also be mailed to:
Central Document Processing Unit
P.O. Box 5234
Janesville, WI  53547-5234
Representative Payee Services
Representative Payee services is mailing checks to all clients and will not have in-person pickup.  This is in effect until further notice.  If clients have an emergency, please call your Budget Counselor to discuss resolution.  For general Representative Payee questions, contact (920) 448-6349.
Community Treatment Center
For the health and safety of the residents in the facility, the public is strongly encouraged to use other means of receiving services and information that are not in-person.  Visitors are restricted from Bayshore Village Nursing Home, Nicolet Psychiatric Center and Bay Haven CBRF.
Outpatient Mental Health & Substance Abuse services will be by appointment only for psychiatry, medication administration of current clients, and prescription refill orders.  Please call for appointment confirmation before coming to the clinic by calling (920) 391-6940.  Therapy, counseling and case management services are by appointment only for clients, and contact your therapist, counselor or case manager if you have questions. 
To make Adult Protective Services reports, please call (920) 448-7885.
If going to the Community Treatment Center, participants are to observe any infection control notices or other posted precautions prior to entering the Community Treatment Center.
Duck Creek Public Health Services
Public access to Environmental Health services located at the Duck Creek location is suspended at this time.  Municipal water testing and other critical infrastructure support will continue to be provided. 
Criminal Justice Services
The transition is being made to provide services by phone.  If going to the building, participants are to observe any infection control notices or other posted precautions prior to entering the Courthouse/Law Enforcement Center.  Access to services will be subject to the general access of the building and can change.