The Brown County Surveyor
is responsible for carrying out the requirements of the County Surveyor's office as specified in Chapter 59 of the Wisconsin Statutes and the Brown County Land Division and Subdivision Ordinance (Chapter 21).
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE COUNTY SURVEYOR:
- Reestablish and maintain the Government Corners of the Public Land Survey Systems
- Review survey maps for compliance with State Statutes & County Ordinances
- Index and maintain copies of all surveys in the county
- Perform survey work for other county departments
- Assist the public with land surveying and land ownership questions
- Public Land Survey Systems in Brown County
Preserving the Government Corners of the Public Land Survey Systems, which is the basis for all legal descriptions in the County, is of high importance. The County Surveyor is responsible for the remonumentation, maintenance, and protection of the nearly 3300 Government Corners within the 530 square miles of Brown County and to execute surveys that are required by the county or by a court.