The Office of the Brown County Register in Probate provides assistance to the circuit courts, attorneys and the general public with professional and proficient services that facilitate proceedings for the administration of estates, trusts, guardianships, protective placements, and juvenile and adult civil mental, drug and alcohol commitments. This includes:
- Management of all probate files, wills filed for safekeeping, trusts, guardianships, conservatorships, protective placements, mental, alcohol and drug abuse commitment records;
- Providing assistance to the public and attorneys with court practices and procedures for wills, probate, guardianships, conservatorships and protective placements;
- Providing assistance to the public regarding access to open records;
- Collecting fees as required by statute;
- Annual review of all guardianship and protective placements;
- Appointment of temporary guardians;
- Conducting pretrial conferences.
The Register in Probate is appointed by the Circuit Court Judges of Brown County.
The Probate Registrar handles the administration of all informal probate proceedings. The Probate Registrar advises as to the informal probate process and preparation of informal probate documents, but may not give legal advice to the personal representative.