1. How can I be safer when I go online?
Cyber Security is important for everyone. Each of us can do our part in protecting ourselves, our families and our community. You can take simple steps to be more secure online. One of the easiest steps is to secure your passwords.
- Never share passwords with anyone. If your password becomes known, change it immediately.
- Do not use the same password for different accounts; create unique passwords for each account.
- Use complex passwords (passphrases work even better - such as "I like 2 fish on Lake Michigan!").
- Consider password management tools like LastPass, 1Password or Keepass.
- Regularly change your passwords.
2. How do I make my home computer safer?
You can make your home computer (or laptop) safer if you take these simple steps?
- Make sure your home PC has the latest patches and updates.
- Make sure you have a good anti-virus installed on your computer
- Free tools: Microsoft Security Essentials; AVAST; AVG
- Paid tools: McAfee or Symantec
- Perform backups using external devices or online services like CrashPlan or Carbonite
3. How do I make my smartphone (or tablet) safer to use?
You can make your mobile device safer by putting a "lock" on the device and installing security software.
Put a "PIN" or password on your smartphone or tablet.
If you use an android device, install anti-virus (such as AVG - this is free!).