The Brown County Sheriff’s Office Citizen’s Academy session began on Thursday Sept. 12, 2019 and will run every Thursday (except Thur. Sept. 26) for 10 weeks, ending on Thursday Nov. 21, 2019. The classes run from 6:30 pm – 9 pm.
The Citizen's Academy is a 25 hour course. Sponsored by the Brown County Sheriff’s Office, its goal is to give the community it serves a better understanding of law enforcement operations and procedures.
Citizens attending the academy will receive training in numerous topics within the criminal justice field, with the aim of giving them a basic understanding and familiarity of the "how's and why's" of law enforcement work.
Some of the topics covered in lecture and hands-on exercises include:
- Patrol Procedures/ K-9 applications
- Traffic Stops
- Jail Operations and Procedures
- Court Structure
- Crime Scene Investigation
- Vehicle Accident Investigation
- Narcotics Enforcement
- Firearms Training
- OWI Laws/Drug Recognition Officers
- 911/Dispatch Procedures
Each applicant to the Academy must meet the following requirements:
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Complete and return the academy application
- Must be a Brown County resident or work within the county.
To request an application, please email or call (920)448-4243 Sara McGuire.