The Brown County Sheriff’s Office School Resource Officers (SRO) are Deputies assigned to a specific school or school district within Brown County to be a part of the daily routine, and ensure the students safety throughout the day.
Brown County has four Deputies assigned to the outlying school districts. Green Bay, Ashwaubenon, De Pere, and Pulaski schools each have SRO positions assigned by their police agencies.
- The Howard-Suamico School District has three assigned SROs
- Deputies Brian Janssen and Justin Rousseau are assigned to Bay Port High School
- Deputy Ryan Werner is assigned to Bayview Middle School
- Deputy Brittnay Coffey is assigned to Lineville Elementary School
- Deputy Jon Dzekute is assigned to all of the schools in the Denmark School District
- Deputy Jessica Smith is assigned to all of the schools in the Wrightstown Community School District.
Each of the four Deputies has applied for the SRO position, and has completed an interview process with both the Sheriff’s Office and the School Administration to ensure they would make a good fit in the school community.
The School Resource position is designed to be a proactive position and has proven to be extremely effective in solving and preventing crime and violence in schools and around the community.
Much of the crime can be solved or stopped due to the relationship the SRO has established with the schools, community and law enforcement.
It is important for school staff, law enforcement and the young people in the community to have this relationship, as it allows them to trust, and confide in law enforcement and staff if students have a concern or complaint. It also brings a sense of safety to the community.
The job of a School Resource Officer is to:
- Establish a relationship with the students so they feel comfortable coming to an officer with their problems concerning law enforcement or any other matter they want to talk about.
- Assist the school administration in keeping a safe school atmosphere
- Enforce both state and local law in and around the schools
- Provide teachers, administrators, and other school officials with information concerning the law
- Provide classroom presentations for students in areas of mutual concern
- Assist any law enforcement agency in investigative matters related to students
- Assist the business community concerning juvenile matters
- Deputies Dzekute and Smith also teach Drug Abuse Resistance Education (DARE) program to Wrightstown and Denmark elementary school students.
If you would like to contact your local School Resource Officer, please see their contact information listed below.