The Brown County Sheriff’s Office Drone or Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) unit was started in the spring of 2019.
The unit is comprised of 6 certified operators and 1 supervisor. The operators consist of deputies from Patrol, Investigative, and the Drug Task Force.
All operators are certified as FAA Remote Pilots and attended both classroom and hands on training for the safe and legal operating of the UAV.
The Drone Unit utilizes a DJI Mavic 2 Enterprise Dual that allows operators to use the device for multiple purposes.
The mission of the Drone Unit is to assist in any facet necessary for public safety including:
- Missing person searches
- Fire department assists (infrared camera)
- Crime scene documentation (photography and videography)
- Crash scene documentation, overhead views of potential flooding areas
- High risk and active crime scene overview
- Any other need that may arise where the use of the drone would assist public safety.